1. Kelly says:

Hi Eleanor,

I also switched from Leflunomide to Sulfasalazine. The change worked well for me. My doctor said that Sulfasalazine can be hard on the stomach but it was easier on my stomach than other meds I’ve tried. Overall, sulfasazine has really helped me so much. Good luck with your medication change. I hope you feel better!

2. Sarah says:

Hey.
    I have been on both, had the liver issue too, tried the half dose same thing. I didn’t like being on salf – felt nausiated all the time and felt like it did nothing for the pain and inflammation :)

3. Lois Kelley says:

I did not take Sulfasalazine for very long so I can not honestly say whether it would have helped me or not. For the short time I took the medication it bothered my stomach and after about 25 minutes in the sun in a swimming pool I got tiny little water blisters all over my arms. I hope it helps you! Feel better!

4. Lisa says:

I’ve been on it in combo w other things for about 6 years – I don’t know how much credit I can give it for working but it’s def the lowest side effects of most meds I’ve taken. I wish u luck and feeling better!

5. Lana says:

I am on sulfasalazine too as a combination therapy. I guess I feel kind of neutral. I have not seen any major side effects with it but I am not see much improvement in my condition. There are many who swear by its progress, I have not yet seen an improvement in my condition to determine its effectiveness.

6. amanda says:

I’m on sulfasalazine and swear by it. I had problems with nausea but I split the doses up to always take them with a meal and that has taken care of the problem.

7. Jennifer says:

I have also taken sulfasalazine in combination with several other medications. This prescription cocktail helped control pain and swelling without side effects. As with other medications I have taken, its effectiveness decreased after a few years of use.

8. WarmSocks says:

Sulfasalazine is easier on the stomach when you start with one tab a day for a week, then go to one tab twice a day for a week, then two in the morning and one in the evening, fourth week two tabs in morning and two in the evening. Increasing slowly like that, I had no stomach problems at all. Eventually increased to two tabs three times a day. It definitely helps me.

Side effects: sun sensitivity, turns your urine bright yellow, constipation. Drink tons of water with this med.

9. Rebecca says:

Me too, Karen. Bad allergic reaction, but I guess a lot of people have allergies to sulfa. Hope it works for you, RA Guy! :)

Thanks for the feedback…just an FYI, this question was not asked by me, but by Eleanor. I did recently come off Leflunomide myself…but I switched over to Plaquenil.

11. Renee says:

I switched to Sulfasalinze just two months ago. The first month was very diffucult I was kinda shakey, nauseated and had some headaches. Taking them twice a day with food helped alot. It takes several months to notice the effects so can’t speak to if it helps or not yet. What my Doc claims though is if it works it is a home run in terms of medication becuase the side effects are so minmal.

12. Wren says:

I’ve been taking sulfasalazine for about 18 months, Eleanor. At first I took it in combo with methothrexate, which I could not tolerate, and then with Arava (leflunomide), which I’m tolerating well. I’ve never had any trouble with sulfasalazine, other than the bright yellow urine, which is a bit shocking at first. NOTE: While I’ve had no appreciable side effects from it, I’ve also not noticed any appreciable benefits. I didn’t notice any change in my RA and in fact, it’s getting steadily worse.

That doesn’t mean it won’t work for you. RA is so incredibly individual that what works for me might not for you, and vice versa. Good luck with it, and I hope you feel better real soon.

13. Christy says:

I had to come off both Arava and Plaquenil and my Celebrex. Been living on MTX and prednisone since August and not doing so well. Supposed to start Simponi (one of the newest biologics) on Tuesday. I hear good things about it.

14. Eleanor says:

Thank you all so much for your comments on this medication. I’ve just picked up my prescription to start tonight!! Fingers crossed!

15. Elaine says:

Just a note on Sulfasalazine. Like all RA related medications, they take up to 12 weeks to ‘kick-in’. I am on Plaquenil (Hydroxychloroquine) as well as part of my combi therapy.

16. Eleanor says:

Just a quick update on the meds – I’ve had to come off them as I broke out in an all over rash with high temp and dis orientation. Taken off them yday and feel so much better. It all broke out when I got up to 3 pills a day. Ive to go back to the hospital next month and they will decide the next step! 4th time lucky!!!!

Thank you all for all your comments!!!