It Was A Dark And Stormy Night

Dark & Stormy SnoopyThe rainy season has started. Even though this is our summertime, the combination of high altitude, clouds, and rain makes it feel like wintertime. Yesterday we had quite a storm right after lunchtime – thunder (my dogs are never happy when strange noises start coming out of the sky) and a strong downpour for a couple of hours early afternoon.

Which meant that by late afternoon, my rheumatoid arthritis was in full swing. My wrists felt like they had been obliterated…although if they really had been obliterated, there would be nothing left to actually feel the pain that I was experienced. (Once I try to stop figuring everything out, I actually begin to figure things out.)

I eventually rolled myself out of bed – it was my sister and brother-in-law’s last night in town, and they had invited us out to dinner. As I was getting dressed, I wondered “Why now – couldn’t this flare have waited until tomorrow, after they leave?” But the worst had passed, and I figured that in a half hour or so I would be doing much better.

Thirty minutes later I was back in the groove, enjoying our final dinner together. I was a great evening, and a wonderful way to end our visit. I just got back from the airport, as they depart on their 18 hour trip back home. The morning sky is beginning to brighten behind the dark clouds and a slight drizzle is falling, as all signs indicate that it will be another stormy day. My wrists are prepared for whatever might happen. No matter how bad the pain might get at times, the worst eventually does pass.

1. Barbarella says:

“Sometimes the most important lesson for a superhero to learn is how to live with pain.”

My own belief is that we are Superheroes *because* we live with the pain. We are much stronger than “normal” people because of the pain and having to deal with the pain. :)

My own symptoms do, of course, also flare up when it´s wet out (luckily I live on a tropical island where rain and humidity is minimal – that´s why I moved here!). However, it´s funny that RA symptoms do not *need a reason*, and even in the summer when it´s hot I do get flares (for whatever reason). But then… it could be my fibromyalgia – most times I don´t know where the RA starts and the fibro ends, hehe. ;)

2. Lana says:

I always say that it was past experinces that prepared me for RA. If I had not taught myself strength and resilence,I would have never been able to learn to live with RA.

I also agree with Barbella – I don´t know where the RA starts and the fibro ends. For me, the pain never ends. I walk without shoes every oppurtunity I get because no matter what size (unless they are clown shoes), they always feel too tight.

This is my life now and I accept now. As you mentioned, the flares eventually pass.

*** RA Guy Comment: This is the 2,000th comment that has been submitted on this blog! ***

3. Terry says:

Sorry the weather caused you to flare up. It’s like you said in closing, it’s all about learning to live with pain.day to day.

I have been in a flare since Christmas eve, we had rain that changed to sleet and then to snow with wind chills down to zero. We have more snow coming tonight. I am so ready for spring, or even our normal winter weather.

4. Wren says:

I feel very lucky. WHile my RA does tend to become more active, and flares are more intense, when the barometric pressure changes significantly. Thus it doesn’t matter what the season is. Still, although cold temperatures, rain and snow don’t seem to have any particular effect on me, I really can’t endure feeling the cold directly for long. “Icing” a flared joint to reduce inflammation and swelling has always been out of the question. It’s simply excruciating. I empathise with you, RA Guy, and the other commenters here regarding the cold, wet weather, and I hope that you’ll all have a break — and more normal temps — real soon.

5. Marianne says:

For me, my ability to deal with pain all depends on what else is going on. It is amazing the amount of pain one can get used to. Sometimes I dont notice pain as much as I notice swelling, which makes it difficult to move, and sometimes that kind of swelling comes with no pain at all.
    I deal rather well, until something out of the ordinary happens, like I havent been getting enough sleep, or i get a cold…
    I went to the hospital in ambulance just last week with a COLD. Not the flu, not the bubonic plague, just dehydration and fainting from anemia, due to connective tissue autoimmune disease and a cold. Things like this get me so frustrated, and feeling sorry for myself. I worked very hard at not getting sick for just this reason. I felt like an idiot. I convinced the emergency room doc not to admit me, after spending the day on IV fluids. He explained that RA can make it very hard to heal, even from a cold, and that anemia and vitamin deficiencies are also hard to treat. I was a big crybaby for two days after that, but all in all, I think what Barbarella said is true – living with chronic pain makes one a superhero, even if said superhero turns into a crybaby sometimes.

6. Slipfinger says:

Hello RA Guy..

I am 40 year old active, single guy, director of a company and apart from the current serious struggle for my company to stay afloat druing this serious financial disaster life was looking pretty good..

After a couple of years of my right knee flaring here and there and more joints in the last twelve months, five weeks ago after a multiple joint flare up I was diagnosed with RA with a Rheumatoid Factor of 26 (weakly positive). While waiting for a consultation with a rheumatologist I was prescribed Diclofenac, and on Christmas Eve started a course of Prednisolone tapering from 20mg to 5mg over the course of the next month to relieve immediate inflammations and Salazopyrin EN increasing from 500mg to 2000mg over the same period.

I have just finished reading every post you have blogged since you started this RA diary. To be honest, although very informative, I am completely shitting myself at the prospects of what looks incredibily likely I am to face in the coming hours, days, weeks, months, years and decades..

Not being married or in a relationship with anyone at the moment (I am a fussy fucker!) I live on my own and the future looks like it can and will be extremely difficult, for someone living on his own. I still have my mum and sisters in the next town who will support me through thick and thin, but the future has suddenly started to look very bleak.

I have so many questions about medicines and organic supplements and have no RA TEAM to speak of and dont really know where to turn.

Any advice from anyone here?