RA|QA Rheumatoid Arthritis Questions & Answers

RA Guy Community News 2 Comments

QuestionNanciann asks:

OK-What if I “think” I might have this…how and where do I go to get the correct diagnosis fast?

Comments 2

  1. Anita

    Call your doctor for an appointment as soon as you can get one and ask for a referral to a rheumatologist. Good luck!


  2. CRK

    I agree with Anita. If you have a good personal physician, then you want them to give you a referral to a rheumatologist they trust. There is often coordination between the two and you want a good relationship between your doctors. Your PCP may want to do some initial blood work to check for R factors, sedimentation rates, or other work to rule out potential other causes of your symptoms. Unfortunately, a “quick” diagnosis for RA, can sometimes be much longer than you’d like. If you do have RA, and it’s “serum-positive”, meaning that you have a positive “R” factor, it’s a pretty quick result. However there are all kinds of auto-immune diseases as well as sero-negative types of RA that have similar symptoms. You may never be able to have a “clear” diagnosis. The good news is, the families of drugs that treat RA also are used to treat other immune disorders, so even without a name to your disease, you should be able to start receiving some relief. Good luck to you.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *