70Yesterday morning, Rheumatoid Arthritis Guy once again attended one of his regularly scheduled physical therapy session. I used to go to PT three times a week, but recently have been able to reduce this to two times a week. On Tuesday and Thursday mornings, after I finish my yoga class, I head over to physical therapy. Luckily, my gym and the clinic are relatively close together.

I sometimes feel like I am a theater actor, running off stage every few minutes to change my costume. Normal clothes. Yoga clothes. Normal clothes. Physical therapy clothes. Normal clothes. (Just the fact that I can change so many times on my own, in half a day, is a good sign!)

Yesterday, out of curiosity, I asked to see my physical therapy file. I was wondering: exactly how many physical therapy sessions had I attended since I started this past May? I soon found my answer.

70. Seventy sessions of physical therapy, in a little over half a year.

Needless to say, I know all of the physical therapists quite well. At the start of most sessions, I rank the three areas that are hurting or bothering me the most, and they tailor my session accordingly. Yesterday, we focused on my left ankle, my left leg, and both knees.

Of course, on my ride home, my right hand let me know it’s displeasure at being ignored during the day’s physical therapy session. Within a matter of minutes, my hand curled up and all of the joints turned red. Even to this day, I continue to be surprised at how quickly things can go from “normal” to “intensely inflamed”.

But that’s okay…on Thursday, I’ll ask my physical therapist to please spend some time working on my hands.

That will be session 71 – but who’s counting?

1. cateepoo says:

You deserve a certificate or something special for all your hard work! Wowzie! That is a lot of physical therapy. It does sound wonderful. I hope Thursday brings some relief to your hands.

2. kate says:

Isn’t odd how fast a flare up can occur? Don’t let a little flare up get you down, you’ve been doing wonderful. It’s all part of the RA Game– don’t let it win :)

3. Wren says:

It has always amazed me, the speed at which a flare can come on — and the speed at which it can disappear. It’s another aspect of the disease that makes it so hard for those who don’t have it to understand (and sometimes, to believe). I can’t count the number of times over the years when I’ve been just toddling along, minding my own business, when WHAM, a joint flares and I’m in trouble. Disconcerting to everyone, including me. And then, after a day or three, it’s just gone. Just as fast as it came on, it’s like nothing happened at all.

Good for you that you’ve been able to manage all those PT appointments, RA Guy. I’m sure they’ve made a huge amount of difference in how the disease is affecting you. And it helps, I think, to feel like we’re facing the battle head on, you know? Here’s hoping that flare in your hand and the ones in the other joints disappear quick.

4. Lana says:

70 sessions – you rock! Sounds like your hand is angry with you. Yes, I hate how fast symptoms change. It is like you have to be always on guard.

Yeah 70 sessions – without insurance! Luckily where I live, my out-of-pocket cost is probably still less than what my copay would be in the U.S.

As Wren mentioned, I think knowing that I have upcoming sessions always helps me – even though my PT is not the end-all, I have definitely noticed that is has helped a lot.

6. Jackie says:

It is amazing how fast we can go from not inflamed to INFLAMED. I’m glad to hear to physical therapy and yoga are helping. I started in January going to the gym three days a week. I did it faithfully for 6 months, then vacationed, then flared…and am having trouble getting back into that routine. It helps my mind, body, and spirit….but it’s hard to tell myself when it’s so cold outside! Anyway, hope you get some relief tomorrow.