Winter Defenses

BottleFirst of all, thanks for all of the comments and messages of support that I received in response to the post that I wrote yesterday.

Even though membership in this club isn’t always by choice (they weren’t kidding when they said “lifetime membership”, were they?!), it’s definitely nice to be able to speak with others who also continually go through the ups and downs that rheumatoid arthritis brings into our lives.

I spent about 45 minutes this afternoon in my rheumatologist’s office. My doctor is always good not only for a painful shot of anti-imflammatories in my hip (which I got), but also for a big smile and a a handful of genuine laughs (not just on his part, but mine as well). I think that’s worth a lot, and I feel fortunate to have such a kind person in charge of my medical care.

So we’re putting up a new defensive plan for the next few months of winter (his words exactly), which includes a series of anti-inflammatory injections in the coming days, as well as a return to my full (hair-falling-out) dosage of Arava. (Who says that bald spots aren’t sexy?) This, on top of my daily Plaquinol and diclofenac pills.

He also told me that’s it’s critical for me to take a daily multi-vitamin. This is the first time in more than a year that he has suggested such a thing.

I know my journey back to semi-normalhood isn’t a short or easy one, but at least I’m turning myself around…and am once again looking in the right direction.

Oh, I was also scolded for not wearing gloves…what was I thinking? And when he asked if I’ve been doing my hand exercises, I changed the subject ever so quickly. What can I say? My rheumatologist knows me well.

1. Laurie says:

Glad to hear you are attaacking the monster!
    I do have a question tho…isn’t typing hours a day considered exercise enough (Just kidding, tho Facebook gives my fingers and wrists a good workout!)
    Feel better!

2. Polly says:

Exercises? Urk – I’ve got my first physio appointment in weeks this afternoon and I haven’t done any exercises for … well … erm … weeks. I wonder what subject I can change things to when she brings that up!

As to gloves, I’m with your rheumy – I can’t manage without them in the winter. In fact I could do with some now but I can’t find any as it’s summer. I do have my compression gloves but could do with some just plain warm ones!

3. Wren says:

Glad to hear your rheumatologist means to treat your RA aggressively during the next several months, RA Guy. I sure do hope it helps break you out of this current pattern of flares. They’re so demoralizing, I know. Yet you continue to approach each day with courage and a sense of humor — wry, perhaps, but wry is just fine as long as you can muster up a smile.

Keep those gloves handy, eh?
    Wishing you the best. Stay warm!

4. Dottie says:

I know sounds silly…but winter will also leave us soon… in the meantime in case you need, I am here to fight against those flares!!!

5. Kelli says:

How wonderful to hear that you have a great rheumatologist. I finally decided to give mine the ax this week. Hope your new defensive plan kicks serious butt this winter. I hope you are already taking a high quality multi-vitamin too. Good to hear a Rheumatologist mentioned vitamins. I truly believe with myself, that my multi and extra doses of vitamins C and D make a world of difference in how I feel. Hope you have a wonderful day and the hair on your head stays put!

6. Miss Waxie says:

Dear RA Guy!

I wrote you a message/comment on what I thought was your most recent entry, but it ended up being from Oct. 2009.,.really I don’t know where my head is….

Anyway, I wanted to stop by and say hello. I’m amazed how your site has grown and I’m so so happy to see that your still the same positive guy you were, despite any flare.

I disappeared for…a while. But I’m back now, back to writing my comic on my chronic illness, back to checking out my fellow health writer/bloggers. I hope to keep up with all your adventures in the future!

Best,