Aerodynamic

aerodynamicA little under two weeks ago, my hair once again started falling out. I still remember the exact moment when I noticed this current round of hair loss. I was in a private tutoring  class, and had just put some blank paper on the table in front of me, when there they were – strands of hair everywhere.

My initial reaction was one of minor annoyance. “Here we go again…” I just brushed the hair away from my note paper, and continued on with my lesson.

Over the next few days, while I wasn’t necessarily denying that my hair was falling out, I wasn’t necessarily paying too much attention to it either. I was just moving on with my busy schedule. My biggest concern, at the time, was squeezing in some time for a haircut. As soon as the first opportunity arose, I went to my hairdresser and asked for my usual cut. On second thought, make it a little shorter than usual, I said.

I walked out of there a happy camper. Excellent, I thought. With my short hair, my hair loss is going to be so much less noticeable.

I was wrong.

Over the past week, I could see my (short) hair everywhere. In the bathtub. In the sink. On my clothes. On my laptop’s keyboard. On the table. On my papers. Now don’t get me wrong, I’m not talking about massive quantities…but definitely enough to notice.

And the more I saw my hair falling out, the more it bothered me. My feelings of minor annoyance started turning into major annoyance. I tried putting a brave face on the situation. I’ve been through this before, after all, so what’s the big deal about going through it again?

Apparently, it’s a bigger deal than I’ve allowed myself to accept up until now.

So today, with a little encouragement from my partner and my sister, I once again returned to my hairdresser. This time, I asked for everything to be shaven off.

(Many times during my adult life I have shaved my head by choice, and have always received compliments from friends and strangers alike…so I couldn’t really understand my reluctance over the past few days of getting my head shaved once again. I guess it comes down to the fact that in those cases my hair style – or lack thereof – was voluntary. This time, I didn’t seem to have much say in the manner.)

So, Rheumatoid Arthritis Guy is a little more aerodynamic at the moment. This evening, when I was out, I felt a gentle breeze brush over my bald head. It actually felt sort of nice. I think I’ll be okay with this (lack of) hair thing. Am I still annoyed? A little…but at least I won’t have to deal with constant reminders of my falling hair.

1. Laurie says:

Aerodynamic….a good name for the shaven head look.
    I had my second round of hairloss about a month after I started on Simponi.Doubled my folic acid, which slowed it down some. Now after 6 months on Simponi with no wimprovement, I am going back to the Enbrel…don’t know what my hair (or joints) will do!

2. Seeking Solace says:

I remember when my hair started falling out when I started Methotrexate. I had a complete meltdown. I had to cut my shoulder length hair super short. I hadn’t worn it that short in 20 years. What I realized is that it is much easier to care for, which is a good thing, since there are days when the hands don’t want to cooperate.

It’s funny. I took the hair loss worse than not being able to drink while on Methotrexate. :)

3. Christy says:

Sorry you are shedding. I do it too. I just made myself feel better about it by cutting off my long hair which I plan on donating to locks of love. Let someone else wear my hair and be happy. :-)

4. Helen says:

Thank you so much for sharing this. I’ve always had really long hair (like down to my thighs long) but a few years ago I had to cut it really short because it was falling out and my shoulder joints were so bad I couldn’t brush it. Noone understood why I was so upset, because even I thought my hair looked better short, but for me it felt like a huge loss of control over my life. I’d accepted loosing so many things because of my arthritis with out many tears, but this was too much for me. I helps to know that other people understand. Thank you again.

5. Lana says:

Bummer on the hair loss! Maybe, the shaven look will better and it might allow your hair to grow back thicker. I love the word “aerodynamic” – suits your current mood.

6. Terry says:

Careful … with the combination of you losing 25 pounds and customizing your head to be more aerodynamic, you could go supersonic!

7. RA Guy's Mom says:

Hey, “supersonic” seems like just the thing for a Superhero! I was reading through your post and I’m thinking that I was going to suggest to you that you ought to just “shave it all off”…when I finally came to that point that stated that’s just what you’d done! I think at this point that’s the best thing you could’ve done for yourself. And I’ve seen you bald before and you looked good. You’re still my handsome, good looking son!

8. Leslie says:

Have you tried taking Biotin? I was losing quite a bit of hair when I started Synthroid but someone told me to take Biotin and wow…it slowed down the hair loss ALOT! also, my nails were growing like crazy…though you might not want that :D If you like the breeze on your head than enjoy…and don’t worry about it…if I was a man I would shave my head and be done with it :P

9. Missy says:

I came upon your site after being diagnosed with RA on Monday. I’m 21. I love your outlook on it. It helps me see that I’m not alone…even though I wish no one else in the world who had to deal with it!

10. David H. says:

Hey there RA guy, I’m a man living with RA as well. Never experienced hair loss though – maybe different meds or not the same reaction to the same meds, I don’t know. Anyway, I think a shaved head on a man can look very handsome. As long as your partner and those you love support you, you’ll be just fine.

And just think, without that extra hair slowing you down in the swimming pool, you can win the next gold olympic medal!

- David

11. Cathy says:

Yikes. Our hair is so important, isn’t it? The shedding seems to be slowing down for me, but sometimes I feel my overall hair and it is so thin now. I do worry about it. Unfortunately for me, I don’t think I will be as attractive as you if I decide to shave it off. :) I am glad you found something you are happy with.

12. Lene says:

it’s amazing how important our hair is to us. We’ll suck up pretty much any other side effect, but talk about the hair and all four paws get firmly planted in the ground.

And yeah. It’s all about choice.