Sunday Break

Because there is no such thing as taking too many breaks!

*****

Modern vs. Ancient. The  photo on the left was taken while looking from the Jin Mao Tower observation deck into the atrium of the Shanghai Grand Hyatt. (The hotel is located on floors 53-87 of the world’s fifth tallest skyscraper.) The photo on the right shows a stretch of the Great Wall of China located outside of Beijing.
China

*****

Here’s to healthy eating! Although I’m usually good about what I eat, I can always do better.

Yesterday for lunch I cooked pan-fried fresh trout with mint mango, oven-roasted beets, and balsamic cherry tomatoes. Not only did the flavors actually work together (I was working from scratch), but the assortment of colors on the plate was quite nice.

On my nightstand, waiting the be read, is The Flavor Bible: The Essential Guide to Culinary Creativity, Based on the Wisdom of America’s Most Imaginative Chefs.

*****

I am going to start looking into voice recognition software. Does anyone have any recommendations?

*****

1. Erika says:

“Because there is no such thing as taking too many breaks!” I took a lot of breaks yesterday while cleaning. Your lunch sounds absolutely delicious! Good luck on your culinary endeavors.

2. Cathy says:

Good for you RA Guy! Isn’t it wonderful to complete some of the simple things in life that we enjoy doing even when we aren’t feeling that great? I hope your wonderful friend was there to enjoy it with you! Were you the cook of the family before RA?

3. Miss Waxie says:

Sounds delicious. My mom and I were just talking today about how a balanced daily diet includes fruits and veggies of every color everyday – red, green, yellow, orange, blue, and purple if possible. Sounds like you were getting ‘em all in!

As much as going gluten-free is a rough adjustment, we do get some great, fully natural meals out of it, don’t we? ;)

- Miss Waxie

4. Cathy says:

I have been using the Speech Recognition program that comes with Windows Vista, and like it better than Dragon Naturally Speaking (which I have also used). It’s hard to say exactly why – Dragon is fine, but I just find the Windows program easier to use. Using voice recognition software can be frustrating, especially when you know typing would go faster. There’s definitely a learning curve at the beginning, and you have to be patient with it.

A lot depends on the quality of your microphone, both in terms of how well it picks up your voice and also in terms of how much background noise it can filter out. The microphone was probably the hardest part to get right; first it didn’t hear me well enough, then it started interpreting background sounds and even my BREATHING as words! Take your time with it and it will save you a lot of hassle later.

Erika, Cathy, Miss Waxie – I absolutely love to cook, it’s always been one of my favorite things. I too easily push it aside when my RA flares, but I think I need to stop doing so. I’ve gotten past cookbooks, my best way of cooking now it to look around the kitchen at what I have, and make a menu from that.

Cathy, thanks for the tip on the speech recognition program! I’m going to check it out.

6. Kim says:

I’ve been using the Vista voice recognition as well – I was surprised at how good it was. I found that it’s worth investing time in the training exercises, where you read passages to get the application used to the way you speak. It’s a little tedious but it does pay off. I looked into the Dragon software but the version that supported Outlook was VERY expensive – I just couldn’t justify it. I agree with Cathy – the microphone is key, I got very odd results using the one built into my laptop. Good Luck !