Rock Bottom

RA Guy Adventures of RA Guy

Earlier this year, I was in complete crisis mode. Not only was my physical condition rapidly deteriorating–so much so that I started having serious vision problems in addition to my chronic pain and mobility issues–but my emotional state was almost a complete wreck. (I say “almost,” because I would later learn that I would fall more than I ever thought imaginable.)

I decided to ask for help. Even though I was uninsured and unemployed, as I have been for years, I decided to take control of my situation, and to look for a way to gain access to some of the newer–and very expensive–biological therapy treatments for rheumatoid arthritis. I asked readers of this blog to submit reference letters (thanks again to all who did!), I asked medical institutions for financial assistance, I asked family members for money, and I asked friends if they would open up their apartments to me, so that I could stay in New York City for a few months to explore options. Against all odds, I arrived at the lower tip of Manhattan in the middle of March, on a frigid winter morning.

Things were looking up.

Within the next couple of weeks, however, everything started to spin out of control–not only with my body and mind, but also with my life. The doctor who was assigned my case made it clear from day one that he had no interest in helping me (going so far as to, on a follow-up visit, walk out on me and my friend). My long-term Prednisone use had already made me lose the ability to control my thoughts (and was without a doubt heightening my depression), but every attempt to lower my dose–even in very small amounts–made my body go haywire. To make matters even worse, I woke up one day to find that all of the money in my bank account was gone. (With the help of family members, I had budgeted what I’d need to cover my personal expenses…but as soon as this money was transferred into my account, it was taken back out–garnished by the State of California for back taxes.)

The next day, I told my best friend from college–who stood by my side so many times during those months that I was in New York City–that I could not do it anymore. I told her that I was afraid that I was going to kill myself. She tried using her trademark humor (one of the things I love most about her) to cheer me up, but I wasn’t having any of it. I was done. Finito.

She did ultimately convince me, though, to keep on trying. I haven’t worked through all of the challenges I’ve worked through in the past to give up now, I told myself. I had to keep moving forward.

I would get through this…I didn’t know how just yet, but at least I was–once again–moving in the right direction.
I decided that I would start walking every day, even if it was just for a few minutes. I told myself that I would get to know the city (and the buildings, and the grid, and the urban design) that I fell in love with twenty years ago, when I was a young college student at Columbia University. Even though the crowded sidewalks were absolutely frightening (and the subway system even more so) for a person like me, who could barely move with the aid of crutches, I made a point to start moving more. I would get through this…I didn’t know how just yet, but at least I was–once again–moving in the right direction.

My physical condition continued to worsen. I was growing pallid. I was constantly shaking. I was sweating through multiple layers of clothes, 24/7. The ‘experts,’ who previously denied that my medicines (methotrexate and prednisone) could be causing such problems, were now accusing me of taking illegal drugs. (You know your world has turned upside down when complete strangers in New York City show more concern than the doctors; right around this time, a guy who I didn’t even know turned to me, as I struggled to walk down the sidewalk, and told me: Hang in there, buddy–everything is going to be okay.)

I had already stepped away from my blog, and from my volunteer work with Show Us Your Hands!, to focus solely on myself…but things still continued to deteriorate. There was very little food that my body could handle, I started developing extreme sensitivities to smells and anything that came in contact with my skin, and the frequency and length of my episodes of blurred vision continued to increase.

One weekend, concerned family members suggested that I travel to California, so that I could take a break from the hustle and bustle of NYC,  and from my constant medical appointments that seemed to be leading me further from, and not closer to, the truth. I agreed that I would get on a flight the next day–right after my morning medical appointment, that was.

The next day, I texted friends and family members to let them know that I would not be going to San Francisco, as planned.

I was going to find my out, and I was going to find it that very same day.
What I *didn’t* tell them was that when I woke up that morning, I felt like I no longer had anything left inside of me. I was empty. I was finished. As I had told my best friend a few weeks earlier, I could in fact no longer do this. I was going to find my out, and I was going to find it that very same day.

As I walked to the subway station, thinking about specific details of how to do something that I hope to never have to think about again, I felt my phone vibrating. It was my husband. He had just received my text, and wanted to know why I was cancelling my trip. I’ll go another day, I told him. And even though I didn’t tell him what was on my mind, I think he knew, because he told me that I needed to immediately go to the airport and catch the next flight out.

I ended up listening to what he told me, instead of  listening to what I was telling myself. I sat in seat 37F (last row middle seat) for the next few hours, and started to marvel at the beauty of being alive, even with the constant challenges that I face. The next day I walked on the beach and breathed in the fresh Pacific air. I told myself that I had reached rock bottom, and needed to declare as much.  I knew that I still had a long uphill climb in front of me, but I also knew that everything was going to be okay.

I was right.

Stay tuned…for the next adventure of Rheumatoid Arthritis Guy!

If you are experiencing suicidal thoughts, please reach out for help.