“There are strong arguments for encouraging disabled people to become designers and for finding mechanisms to support architects who acquire disabilities during their working lives. We feel this is an important step towards creating a climate of success for disabled designers in the UK.”
-Sandra Manley of the School of the Natural and Built Environment at UWE.
The Royal Institute of British Architects (RIBA) and the University of the West of England (UWE) have launched a research study into disability and inclusion in architecture.
This is the first time that a detailed piece of research has been commissioned into this subject. The year-long study will seek to identify case studies of good practice in the profession, which facilitate equal opportunities for disabled people as entrants, students and practitioners. These case studies will act as a resource for future work, as well as raising the profile of disabled architects and celebrating existing successes.
RIBA and UWE hope that the questionnaire will be completed by the following groups of disabled people;
- students of architecture,
- people who embarked on an architecture course or career in architecture but did not complete,
- people who considered a career in architecture, but were deterred from pursuing this ambition.
The researchers are also interested in hearing from anyone who is interested in the research and considers that they can make a useful contribution.
Further details about the research and the questionnaire are available on the following website: https://environment7.uwe.ac.uk/projects/riba.
Please consider making a donation to Rheumatoid Arthritis Guy.
- Show Us Your Hands! Seeks Director Of FinanceJanuary 9, 2014 - 6:53 pm
- Show Us Your Hands! Annual Report: Building Foundations for the FutureDecember 17, 2013 - 5:24 pm
- Show Us Your Hands! Annual Report: Our Hands Can! Community StoriesDecember 16, 2013 - 1:51 pm
- Show Us Your Hands! Annual Report: Managing StressDecember 13, 2013 - 10:14 am
- Show Us Your Hands! Annual Report: Recalibration: Creating a BalanceDecember 12, 2013 - 11:07 am