Rheumatoid Arthritis & Tea

Rheumatoid Arthritis Guy is a big fan of tea.

I have a large plastic bin in my kitchen that has probably about fifty different boxes of tea. I have teas for all occasions – winter teas, summer teas, and everything in between. I have teas for upset stomachs. I have teas for cold season and for improved breathing. I have teas to take when I am anxious, and teas to take before I fall asleep.

Quite often, I finish my meals with a big mug of hot tea (no sugar). The two types I drink the most: green tea and mint tea.

Last year I purchased a glass teapot and blooming teas; dried flowers infused with different teas. When placed in the pot of hot water, the flowers open up and release the tea. It’s lots of fun, and a great conversation piece.

I have probably more than half of the Celestial Seasonings teas. I have teas purchased in China. I have smoky green teas purchased from a Japanese department store on Fifth Avenue. I have blueberry tea in a nice wooden box that my mother bought me from Alaska. I even have Russian tea. I have tea my sister-in-law bought from Egypt.

I have yerba mate from Argentina, along with the obligatory metal straw. I have drank coca leaf tea to lessen altitude-sickness while in the Andes mountains. (And in case you are wondering, coca tea has absolutely nothing to do with cocaine.)

Last but not least, I even have tea for my arthritis. My favorite is the Joint Comfort blend from Yogi Teas. I like to prepare a large thermos of this tea and drink it throughout to day. I only recently got serious about drinking this Joint Comfort tea regularly – which means that I just ran out. Luckily, six more boxes from Amazon are on their way.

Do you drink tea to help with you rheumatoid arthritis? If so, what kind?

PRODUCT INFORMATION

Yogi Tea
Yogi Tea Joint Comfort

www.yogiproducts.com

Our unique blend of traditional herbs from Asia, Africa and America is specially formulated to ease joint movement. Naturally decaffeinated green tea joins organic turmeric root, used in Ayurveda for joint health, and yucca root, traditionally used by Native Americans to help maintain the joints. We add cat’s claw bark, an antioxidant and immune system balancer used for centuries by the Ashanica Indians of South America. African devil’s claw—also known for its joint support—creates a distinctive, soothing blend. Enjoy a cup of Joint Comfort™ tea and move freely throughout your day.*

*These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

1. Cathy says:

I also have the Joint Comfort! Currently I am drinking lots of Tazo Organic Ginger Tea for digestion and joints and one to two cups of green tea a day. I love hot tea! I drink it in the morning, afternoon, and evening. It doesn’t matter if it is hot outside, I still like the hot tea or at least room temperature, never iced. My son just made Celestial Seasonings Black Cherry tea to put in the refrigerator for himself and it smelled so good I made a small amount to keep at room temperature. Ooops….just drank my last gulp of ginger tea. Better get another pot of water going. That is what I love about tea- the process. Waiting for the kettle to boil, letting my fingers soak in the heat of the hot mug, smelling the tea as it brews and then finally slowly drinking it.

Cathy, your description completely reminded me of a book I read while studying architecture as an undergraduate – “In Praise of Shadows” by Junichiro Tanizaki. The book can be read in one sitting (it’s only 56 pages), and included wonderful descriptions of the aesthetics of Japanese interiors, ranging from architecture to the cups used to drink tea.

I like the thought of having the mug warm up your hands, I had never thought of it that way.(Although on my list of things to buy is a two-handled mug for days when my hands are weak…)

Ginger tea…yum!

3. WarmSocks says:

I bought lavender tea, but find that it smells better than it tastes. It’s great for relaxation. Same with peach – smells wonderful, so I like to sit, hold the cup, and inhale the aroma. For drinking, I’m partial to mint.

4. Helen says:

I love tea, too! I don’t drink anything specifically for my RA, but I love peppermint tea for an upset or nervous stomach. I also drink black tea at breakfast and at any other occasion in which I might have otherwise had coffee… it’s just the right amount of caffiene to perk me up a little without making me totally jittery.

5. Diane says:

Thanks for the info – does the Yogi tea taste nice? I’m not really into fancy flavoured teas, but I do like green tea [with milk I'm sorry to say] and I’m a real fan of the good old british cuppa [with milk OF COURSE!!]. I’d be interested in tasting notes please. Thanks RA Guy.

6. Christina says:

Yogi teas do taste good. I get them at the studio where I go for yoga or reiki treatments.

Diane, at times I want some different flavor, so what I will do is blend it with a flavored (i.e. mint) tea. Not that it tastes bad alone, though.

Marianne, I use a joint rescue cream by Peaceful Mountain that basically has the same ingredients, and that works wonder for me…so I have to assume that drinking this tea is helping as well.

8. Jessica says:

Hello, RA Guy! A tea shop expert told me about nettle tea. It’s supposed to reduce inflammation. I’ve been drinking it for a few weeks now. I also drink chamomile tea. I think every little bit counts.

9. Lynn Rivers says:

Tea is awesome, thanks for the link! I like Earl Grey and I drink plain green tea from the grocery store but none of the green teas that I have tried have any umpf. So I checked out Yogi and got carryied away I bought 5 different boxes of teas to try out… all RA friendly:
    Green Tea Collection, Green Tea Super Anti-Oxidant, Seven-Berry Anti-Oxidant, Chai Green, Lemon Ginger, and Joint Comfort.
    I can’t wait to get them.