Sunday Break

Because there is no such thing as taking too many breaks!

*****

I’m beginning to realize that I like taking photos of flowers.

Flower Ile de la Cite

This photo was taken in the little park at the tip of Ile de la Cité. We had just finished our picnic lunch, and were headed to Ile Saint-Louis for some wonderful ice cream (with a stop at Notre Dame, of course.) It was late September, so the large crowds of summer tourists had already gone.

*****

Got some new RA toys on Friday! The first was a personal TENS (transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation) machine that I can use here around the house. The second was a hand exerciser – the type with pegs and elastic bands of different strength. I’ve already put both of them to good use.

*****

The FDA recently approved a labeling change for Arava (leflunomide) which indicates that users should be screened for latent tuberculosis before starting treatment…but doesn’t say anything about those of us who are already taking this treatment.

*****

I was recently asked for details about the gloves that I used in order to prevent ulnar drift, which is a hand deformity where swelling in the big knuckles at the base of the fingers causes the fingers to become displaced, tending towards the small finger.

Ulnar Deviation Splint
Elcross Ulnar Deviation Splint
Hook and loop closures for simple application and removal. Corrective straps align fingers in neutral position; shaped steel stay offers resistance to ulnar deviation.

*****

1. Amanda says:

Enjoy the TENS machine- I have one and love it. Have you tried parafin wax treatments? I had my first one the other day on my feet and it was lovely. Just think warm, moist, soothing heat. So that may be my next purchase.

2. Lene says:

That flower looks like an alien! Gorgeous, but… erm… otherworldly.

I have to restrain myself from only posting flower photos in the summer. Love that macro setting! ;)

Thanks Cathy and Lene!

Amanda, I have a hand paraffin wax machine coming my way, I should have it in a few weeks. I’m looking forward to it! And yes, being to hook myself up at home to a TENS machine is the best.

4. Courtney W says:

What’s a TENS machine? Also, do you think the splints are doing any good? My hands are starting to become displaced. I am wondering if they are worth it.

Thanks!
    Courtney

5. Emma, NRAS says:

Hi RA Guy!

Just reading through your posts as I love to do – great pictures by the way!

Have you heard of Silver Ring Splints? They do the same job of preventing ulnar drift (and other disfigurements) as the normal splints do, but they look like normal rings – you can even buy ones with gems on for the ladies! There is a woman in America who makes them, I met her last year at a workshop we were running about them. Now the CEO of NRAS wears hers everyday along with her wedding ring and they look really pretty.

Emma, National Rheumatoid Arthritis Society

6. Sadie K. says:

Regarding Arava-
    I was screened for TB before I started taking it… the impression I got was that if you weren’t screened, and you DID start taking it, you would know (in a bad way).

Thanks for the infomation about Arava and TB, Sadie!

Courtney, TENS is a device that delivers low-level electrical currents via electrodes, which results in an analgesic effect. It’s great method of temporarily relieving pain in certain spots.

Emma, I received another comment a while back on the silver ring splints – I am going to have to look into them. It’s great to connect with people from NRAS!

8. Emma, NRAS says:

It’s great to connect with you too RA Guy!

All of us here at NRAS find your posts and blogs inspirational. We would love to get involved with you more (despite being across the pond!), maybe you could write an article for our newsletter or our new website – which will be going live at the end of 2009, and in return we would love to tell our members about your blog site, provide you with any support that you need, etc.

I would really like to chat more! My name is Emma, I am the main person who keeps our social networking pages updated – please email me through Facebook if you would like to discuss how NRAS and yourself could do something together!

Unfortunately I will now be out of the office until 31st July, so if you do email me, please do not be concerned if I don’t reply!

Best wishes!!