Sunday Break

Because there is no such thing as taking too many breaks!

*****

Lily

At eleven years old, Lily is the oldest of our three dogs (and is definitely the top dog). She is a Cairn Terrier, and will always be my first dog. I got Lily when I was in my last year of graduate school. I will never forget running into the superintendent of the building we lived in as we were going out for a walk (pets were not allowed the Harvard-owned apartment in which we lived). “Oh, don’t be worried” he said, “I figure that if you are responsible enough to go to grad school here that you are responsible enough to know how to take care of a dog.” Saved! Often when I am working at my desk, Lily begs to get up on the chair next to me. Once she does, she will lay down and spend hours by my side. (In fact, as I type right now, she’s by my side.)

*****

Yesterday was a really good day – one of my best days in weeks, in regards to pain. (Although it was by no means pain-free…just before I went to sleep, my right wrist and hand swelled up considerably.) I did some yoga late-morning. It was nice to once again be stretching and moving around without too much pain in my ankles and feet. Instead of fretting about how long this period might last, I will just accept if for however long or short it lasts…and enjoy it!

*****

No brunch today, but we are having family over for lunch. We will be serving Surubi (a type of large tiger catfish common in parts of South America) served with a side of mashed potatoes and a salad.

*****

With the Fall television season back in swing, the season passes on my Tivo have been updated recently. In: The Office, Parks and Recreation, Top Chef, Project Runway, and The Amazing Race. Out: Community (couldn’t even get through the entire first episode). Anxiously awaiting: Ugly Betty (October 16th).

*****

1. Jules says:

Lily is beautiful! She has very deep eyes. I want to snuggle up with her and my Harley-lol. Congrats on your pain free day yesterday. I don’t know about you- but those days are what keep me going on the not-so-good days. Project Runway and Top Chef are pretty good this season. I love them both. Have a wonderful day with your family!

2. Rebecca says:

She is precious! Pets do so much to lift our spirits. I think everyone with arthritis should have a pet! :-)

3. Michelle says:

I love both of my dogs and my cats too! They always seem to have the ability to make me feel better even when I am in excruciating pain. I am thankful to have them in my life every day!

The Amazing Race is one of my favorite shows. I love traveling and often wish I was capable of being on the show…

4. Leslie says:

loveeee Lily! I had a Cairn terrier mix as a kid…he was black and a very loyal dog…miss him :(

I love Top Chef and Project Runway! Also Biggest Loser…Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursdays are great right now! I dont usually follow much tv but these shows are great!

just wondering…when you say your hand swelled…is it your wrist or your joints of your fingers? when i first saw the rheumy who diagnosed me he pointed out the swelling in my wrists but i had not noticed it until it went away on the steroids. of course i noticed the pain. I get swelling in my fingers but i thought it was fluid….could it be from the arthritis i wonder? hmmmmm gonna ask about that at my next appt. gotta love RA!!!! lol….blah!

5. Laurie says:

Lily is a cutie. I have 3 cats who follow me around like dogs. They instinctivley know which sore joint needs a feline heating pad. Now i just have to get them to rub my back.
    TV is always a good diversion for me. I like Glee, Royal pains (summere series)Project Runway,Fipping out, Ugly Betty and Dancing with the stars and Ellen Degeneres. I also have to confess an addiction to Nancy Grace. One of the cases she has followed the past year and a half happened 6 blocks from my house..it’s like our neighborhood soap opera. Thank goodness right now that case is fairly quiet. Last summer our neighborhhod was like a miltarized zone with all the media trucks, police and helicoptors overhead. Very stressful, esp. since I sleep during the day because I work nites.

6. Christie says:

Oh my gosh… she’s adorable. You’re other dogs look very sweet and fun, but Lily seems very caring and compassionate. I can tell she’s very special to you… and I’m sure you to her as well.
    Thanks for sharing your family with us.

7. cateepoo says:

I like Community. Steve watched it without me the first time and didn’t care for it either but kept watching and now it is in our weekly shows.

Lily is beautiful. Thanks for sharing her with us.