Six Major Joints Replaced And Counting

“In a year I can lose whole parts of my body… I might lose my foot this year,” says Emma Suddaby, who is facing a battle with a very aggressive form of arthritis.

At 22, she was healthy and fit. Then one day, she woke up with a sore knee and was hospitalised as doctors battled to control the aggressive onset of what later turned out to be rheumatoid arthritis.

Rheumatoid arthritis is a disease of the auto-immune system. Emma’s immune system does not recognise her own tissue and attacks everything it sees.

Read More: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/8338548.stm
BBC Inside Out: Emma’s Story: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00nrxtl

Hopefully you are lucky enough to be in a territory that actually allows you to see the corresponding video. (Apparently globalization no longer applies to the internet – one of the most global things in existence today!)

1. Laurie says:

Guess Florida is not one of the viewing territories. How scary for Emma. Will be praying for her, and all of us.

2. Wren says:

California isn’t within range, either. Darn. What an awful thing for Emma, or anyone, to face, though. I hope that stem cells WILL help her, somehow, and perhaps the rest of us too, someday.

Yeah, I think only people in the UK are going to be able to see the video. There is a lot of information in the two links above for the rest of us, though.

4. Deborah says:

Lots of BBC links are not available in the US, it is very frustrating. Meanwhile, reading Emma’s story reminds me not to take the mobility and opportunities I still do have for granted.

5. Jennifer says:

Ahh sigh, video does not work in Australia either but still a great story. Thanks for sharing RA Guy.

6. Moira says:

Having also got vasculitis in the last year (after 13 years of disease) it’s nice to know there are others out there… but it is a bit dire to have your condition referred to as part of the “end stage” since at 29 I intend on sticking around for a while : p

It is pretty unpleasant though and I had no idea what it was to get an ulcer until I got many, I really feel there are huge gaps in what the doctors want you to know… education, with real information about what you can expect from this condition and how they might deal with things like that is so important, specialists are often too focused on “their” treatment regime and the internet is a scary place if you start reading alone!

I also couldn’t view her video, but I’m impressed she still looks so well presented and collected in the still shot, after going through so much… what a superhero!