RA Guy Is 2 Years Old

Two year ago today, I launched Rheumatoid Arthritis Guy with the following post:

Rheumatoid Arthritis Guy Saves The World!
April 24, 2009

Okay, so maybe I didn’t save the world – yet. But I did launch this blog, and on a Friday afternoon no less. Now I can kick back and relax over the weekend. I’ll go back to saving the world on Monday.

The idea to start my own blog has been simmering around in my head for a while, but upon hearing for the third time in a month “Why don’t you start your own blog?” I finally decided to give it a go.  I put aside my self-paced iPhone application development training (and corresponding new MacBook Air – what a lovely thing) and jumped into the world of Adobe Illustrator (illustrations on the right) and WordPress (blog publishing software, for those who are not familiar).

I hope to have fun sharing adventures of my journey through chronic pain and debilitating inflammation.  My rheumatoid arthritis has undergone a major progression during the past few months, and I need to turn my daily routine of putting on and taking off my wrist guards and ankle protectors into something fun.  Hence, Rheumatoid Arthritis Guy and his tungsten wrist guards and titanium ankle protectors.

And yes, I really do still have a full head of hair.  Although two weeks ago I started taking Arava for my rheumatoid arthritis, and one of the most common side effects of this drug seems to be hair loss.  Here’s hoping that I don’t become follically challenged.  (Although I guess being able to comfortably lift a brush is more important than having a full head of hair – darn those wrists!)

So welcome to my world and welcome to my blog.  Don’t be shy – I would love to hear from you.

Since writing this first blog post, I’ve gone through two rounds of hair loss. (But my hair has always grown back. I’ve also recently noticed that my first gray hairs are starting to appear!) My MacBook Air died a spectacular death a few months ago, both digital and physical. I may not have saved the world yet, but I did definitely save myself from continuing to walk down the road of hopelessness and depression that I had been on for all too long.

“My rheumatoid arthritis has undergone a major progression during the past few months…” These words, which I wrote a couple of weeks ago, could have been just as easily written last week.

I’m pleased to announce that Rheumatoid Arthritis Guy is being picked up for another season here in the blog universe! So please join me here on my blog, as we anxiously for what adventures are in store as RA Guy continues his journey through chronic pain and debilitating inflammation. (I’m saddened to say, though, that Thor and the Green Lantern beat me out for this summer’s blockbuster movies…maybe 2012 will be the year I hit the big screen!)

Stay tuned…for the next adventure of Rheumatoid Arthritis Guy.

1. HealingWell says:

Congratulations on the two year mark! I, like you, found myself pulled into blogging. I have much to learn, but it is very rewarding. You have helped so many and raised awareness for R.A. ~ Peter

2. Wren says:

Oh, I’m glad RA Guy wasn’t cancelled! You’re my favorite, go-to blogger for smiles, inspiration and courage, you know. And I’ve made so many other blogger friends by perusing your Superheros Adventures sidebar, Guy.

Glad your hair grew back. Mine did too–and it came back curly where it had once been string-straight. Just another example of the proverbial silver lining…

Best to you, Guy. Happy Easter!

3. Michelle says:

Congrats on 2 years blogging! I have been blogging for 9 years on and off and it has been a great release.

As an aside: Taking Arava changed my hair color, more red. These drugs are crazy.

4. Dottie says:

Hey…another birthday…MIL FELICIDADES…I really enjoy reading every single peace of info…I have learned a lot…Thank you MAESTRO!!!

5. Angela says:

Way to keep going. It’s not easy to keep up a blog especially when it can hurt pretty bad to type at times.

Keep the updates coming!

6. Thrive With RA says:

Congratulations on your 2nd Anniversary, RA Guy!

I appreciate your style of prose and positive attitude. I hope you are feeling good today.

I’m a journalist and Contributor for My Health Central’s MyRACentral.com. I write about my own experience with severe RA on http://www.thrivewithra.org.

With May being awareness month for RA, I’m active in promoting RA awareness. I wanted to include an article on a man living with RA, as the 30% male RA population deserves more attention. I’d love to contact you for an interview. Would you be interested? Please contact me by email. I think you’d be a very interesting person to read about.

Thank you for your consideration, and again, best wishes to you on 222+ more years of blogging bliss!

7. Thrive With RA™ says:

In honor of RA Awareness Month, we wanted to thank you RAGuy for your ongoing awareness and advocacy, and let you and your readers know about some fun contests with valuable prizes at MyRACentral.com they could enter, plus help share in promoting RA awareness on a number of venues, including Facebook, Twibbon and Twitter.

We invite you to please share the following link for this comprehensive information for your readers:

Thank you for your help!