Motion Lines

Even thought I’ve been a designer in some form or another for most of my life, I have never considered myself to be a comic book artist. So during these past few weeks, as I worked on my blog’s new layout and design, I found myself re-reading Scott McCloud’s seminal work Understanding Comics. (I had previously read this book many years ago, when it was all the rage in the web development and interface design community.)

One part of this book that I really enjoyed this time around was the discussion of motion lines, originally called ‘zip-ribbons’, which are used to represent the movement of objects through space in a single panel. (For complete information on the history and different styles and methods of showing movement, be sure to check out the book!)

As I read this section, I chuckled and thought to myself that the next time I found myself being once again slowed down due to my rheumatoid arthritis, all I needed to do was power up Photoshop and add some of these motion lines behind RA Guy. Hence, this new image here to the left.

After almost five and a half weeks of little to no disease activity, my RA once again seems to be slowly tapering up. Yesterday, for the first time in months, I left the house with my crutches.  My left knee in particular has a tendency to go from ‘fine’ to ‘out of order’ is just a matter of seconds. On my way to physical therapy this morning, I once again found myself trying to figure out the best way to cope with the tremendous pain (which was, thankfully, partly relieved within the hour during my PT session.)

How long this will last I have no clue. I’m less concerned about the fact that my flare-free streak seems to be coming to an end, than I am happy with the fact that I had much more time than usual during the past month to take a break from the chronic pain and debilitating inflammation.

Now, I’ll just have to put my cape back on and get back to work…

In the real world I may not be able to move as easily as I did just a few days ago…but in the comic book universe, I’ll continue to do wonders.

1. Frank says:

Thanks for creating this site, i am fortunate that my RA is not as severe as others. I am waiting for the other shoe to drop though, till than i’ll just keep going. I am going to try to do all I can till I can’t anymore. Thanks for all the inspiring stories.

2. Thrive with RA™ says:

Interesting lesson in comic book design. Thanks for sharing that background. I love the new image with the zip ribbons. Maybe they can be considered “zip ribbons of RA awareness?” :)

What color is your cape? I bet it has a silver lining! :)

Cheers to you for keeping at it, despite a setback. I hope you feel better.

3. Laurie says:

Wow! What a nice long flare-free stretch! Hopefully today was just a blip in the road…I have the misbehaving left knee also!

4. Deb aka murphthesurf says:

Can you draw in some of those zip lines for me. I could zip from my bed to the bathroom. From the bed to the kitchen to try and eat. From the kitchen to a chair outside. Yup, just zipping along on all my daily tasks of late. I was so happy for you for your pain free ( I know, hardly completely free of pain) reprieve and wish more will come your way. There is a saying I like, I have two speeds…stop and reverse. During times like this, pain free ones, I’ll take the stop and reverse approach because then I would remain pain free and more mobile. Oh, zippity duhda…zippity eh?

5. Debra Myers says:

Thanks RA Guy….I have lived with RA for more than 30 years, the last 13 it has really tried to kick my butt. I am on disability, and have had 5 joint replacements. But I try to get up & go every day, somedays are harder than others as you well know…but people still wonder why I don’t work. Really appreciate your website & comments.

6. Lene says:

I like the new look! Very clean, easy on the eyes. Restful. And I love the zip ribbons. I could use some of those!

Hope the flare deflares soon!