Deb

Photos © Deb

Name?

Deb

Age?

Location?

Downingtown, Pennsylvania, United States

How long have you lived with RA?

I have lived with RA for probably 10 years, but was diagnosed 2 years ago.

What advice would you give to someone who has just been diagnosed with RA?

The advice I would give someone who just found out they have RA is, read up on the disease, join support groups and ask your rheumatologists tons of questions.

Do you use any mobility aids?

I do not have mobility aids.

How has living with RA helped to improve your life?

I think living with RA has slowed me down considerably. I appreciate the small things in life.

Do you have any visible signs of RA?

I do not have visible signs of RA, but the words fatigue are written all over my face.

Can you please describe some of your favorite coping strategies for living with RA?

My favorite coping ability with RA is a soaking hot tub or shower. Take life slowly. I try to stay positive, everyday.

Can you please describe your current medical (traditional and alternative) treatments?

20 Mg of Methotrexate once a week. Folic Acid daily.

Is there anything else about yourself that you would like to share?

I think a small part of me is still in denial. I used to be so active, so full of energy. Now, just making it through a 8 hour work day, is a huge accomplishment. I try to learn as much as I can of this disease, as well as, the others I have.

1. Kim says:

Downingtown is right around the corner from where I work. (West Chester University) If Deb ever needs a shoulder to commiserate with, can you pass my information along to her?

Kim Hewes

2. Steve says:

OUTSTANDING ! A great profile Deb. You need to write a book of your journey. Beautiful pictures and great comments. You will beat this.

3. Shan says:

I have had arthritis for 34 of my 36 years of life. A friend once told me I was slow. I didn’t realise how slow I was until someone brought it to my attention. Initially I was pissed off – now I understand that that is who I am and because I do things slowly I do it with all my heart and attention. xo

4. Libby Schou-Kristensen says:

I know what it’s like to go to bed tired and to wake up tired. I sometimes wish I could plug myself in for a re-charge like my phone! Thank you for sharing your profile. Fatigue may be written all over your face but I see a beautiful person smiling through it all! Trust God. He works things out for our good when we love Him and are called according to His purpose! x Libby

5. abcsofra says:

Hey Deb! Coming from another Deb here :-) Love your profile and although I can read between the lines and recognize that you put on a good face, you are doing the best you can with ra…you still have the fatigue. Don’t you just wish there was a magic wand for all of us. I just passed thru your neck of the wood yesterday in fact!!

6. Deb says:

Thank you everyone for your positive affirmations. Things are getting alittle more worse for me. Damage in my knees, I also have Sjogrens and just diagnosed with Raynauds. Its getting harder. I need to make a decision about doing infusions, which is weighing heavily on my mind. I tried Humira and had a bad reaction to it.
    Thanks for all your support.
    But its really hard.
    Deb

7. Teresa says:

Deb your progression sounds similar to mine, I was fairly free of serious symptoms for many years and able to ignore them. Later when I started having problems it was the fatigue that finally got to me too, it seems I can handle a lot of pain but being tired is my red line. Good luck with finding the right combo of meds, I’m on my 4th biologic and being typically optimistic-Teresa