James Coburn & RA

james-coburnJames Harrison Coburn, Jr. (August 31, 1928 – November 18, 2002) was an American film and television actor who appeared in nearly 70 films and made over 100 television appearances in his 45-year career. Perhaps best remembered for his natural charisma and charm, he played a wide range of roles and won an Academy Award for Best Actor in a Supporting Role for his performance in Affliction (1998). [...]

Due to severe rheumatoid arthritis, he was featured in very few films during the 1980s. Though Coburn’s hands were clearly visibly gnarled in film appearances in the last years of his career, the sturdy actor continued working nonetheless. He spent much of his time writing songs with British singer-songwriter Lynsey De Paul and doing television such as his work on Darkroom. He claimed to have healed himself with pills containing a sulfur-based compound and returned to the screen in the 1990s, appearing in films such as Young Guns II, Sister Act 2, Maverick, The Nutty Professor, Affliction (for which he won an Oscar for Best Supporting Actor for his vivid portrayal of the abusive father of Nick Nolte) and Payback, mostly in minor but memorable roles. Affliction also saw Coburn receive Best Supporting Actor nominations at the Independent Spirit Awards and the Screen Actors Guild Awards.

Read More: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Coburn

“All of the sudden I couldn’t walk,” Coburn said. “I mean I could walk, but it was so painful. And then standing up got to be such a dreadful thing, I said, ‘My God, something’s wrong here.’ So I went to see a Beverly Hills doctor, and he says, ‘You’ve got rheumatoid arthritis.’”

That diagnosis came 30 years ago, when the actor was in the prime of his life, reported CBS 2 News’ Michael Tuck. Coburn’s most popular work had been as top-secret spy Derek Flint in the comedy adventure series “Our Man Flint” and “In Like Flint.” For an action star, the news was devastating. [...]

“At it’s worst, how bad was the arthritis?” Tuck asked.

“I couldn’t stand without breaking into a sweat. Fast movement was very painful. It didn’t matter what I was doing, if I was standing or sitting or moving my arms or anything,” Coburn replied.

“This must have devastated your career,” Tuck said.

“Oh, it did. I absolutely couldn’t work,” said Coburn. “I’d do things like little cameo things where I didn’t have to move very much. I could just talk.”

Read More: http://www.msmoriginal.eu/articles/coburn%27s_magic_bullet_13.html

I’ve never heard about these MSM (Methylsulfonylmethane) claims before, but here is an interesting article from About.com which delves into the topic a little deeper:
James Coburn “Cured” Of Rheumatoid Arthritis?

1. MissDazey says:

I have seen commercials with James Coburn selling MSM products, can’t remember how long ago. Another one of those scams ads, in my opinion.

Have you ever researched Jerry Lewis and what caused his swelling a few years ago. I recently read it was caused by too many years of taking prednisone in combination of other meds. It was a “fluff” piece on the Internet.

I bet you are treating your Mom like royalty, which she deserved.

@cateepoo, I’m curious to learn more about MSM. In addition to my pharmaceutical treatments, I also take fish oil, Boswellin, cayenne, and sometimes ginger on a regular basis.

@MissDazey, all ads from the most costly biologics to the less expensive supplements often promise amazing turn-around results, no? It’s a matter of perspective…but in the meantime I’ll continue to be equally respectful and critical of options both mainstream and alternative. Mom and I had a five star lunch yesterday! :)

3. Millicent says:

I know you & your mom are having a nice visit. There’s nothing like family! This was interesting; think I do remember his advertising those things–didn’t realize he had RA. Enjoy the weekend!

4. tharr says:

With several celebrities being diagnosed with RA, you would think our disease would get a little bit of the media spotlight.

I tried MSM early after my diagnosis, but I could not tell that it had any affect on my RA. I was in my severe days when I tried it, so now that I am doing better I have thought about trying it again.

5. mary says:

bringing the topic up after so many years wondering if anybody else was liking the msm… msm seems to help along with bromelein/papain (which i used sucessfully years ago before RA when i had a months-long GERD attack that none of the meds could touch). looking back at that time, i’m wondering if the GERD was also an autoimmune flair of some sort. it went away, eventually… so maybe it’s not the msm and just another remission but diet and enzymes seem to play a role in my joint pain for sure. i know my great grandma used sulfur to cure what ails

6. george says:

Hi all: just found this website, very cool and informative. was diagnosed with RA 16 years ago, found a terrific RA’logist who put me on various meds until we found one that worked ‘PLAQUENIL’ 200mgs daily. have been virtually symptom free ever since. just retired and now learning guitar. greetings to all!