Sunday Break

Because there is no such thing as taking too many breaks!

*****

PanoramaView

Panoramic view taken from the Island of the Sun in Lake Titicaca. The steep hills have been terraced in order to allow for farming. The small island in the center is the Island of the Moon. The mountains in the back are the Andes. The two small buildings on the left side of the photo are part of an architectural project that I designed.

*****

Today is the last day of my mother’s visit, tomorrow at dawn she takes off to go back home. We’re going to miss her, but I am sure she is looking forward to being back home with my father! We are looking to having both my parent visit again in a few months for the holidays.

*****

90% of the food that I consume is not packaged or processed, so additives in my diet are rare. I am beginning to notice, however, that on the rare occasion when I consume something with MSG (monosodium glutamate), that I flare badly the following day. So MSG is now one more item on my list of things not to eat…which in my case means no more bbq-flavored corn nuts.

*****

1. Millicent says:

This picture looks like paradise!! I know that your mom will be excited to return with your dad for the holidays. I always feel better knowing the next time we’ll be together whenever my children & I part–makes the leaving easier. MSG can cause problems–headaches for some (including me). Good to know. Enjoy your Sunday!!

2. Terry says:

The view in that photo is amazing. I could spend a day or two just starring at that from a lounge!

I have read about MSG giving people problems. It’s good that you diagnosed MSG as a problem causer. Any relief from flares or everyday pain is welcomed.

3. Helen says:

You have been so blessed with a good education, a profession that allowed travel and an ability to see beauty and humor where ever you are and with what ever you do.
    Thank you for sharing your experiences and insights.

4. Jules says:

Gorgeous photos as always. I never really thought about MSG causing flares- but it doesn’t surprise since I get both headaches and swelling (almost like instant water retention) from it. Needless to say- I avoid it like the plague. Good catch on your part. Have you checked to see if it is the corn nuts themselves or the seasoning that has the MSG? If it is just the seasoning-give this a try: Buy plain corn nuts (who doesn’t love them?) and toss them in your favorite dry, non-msg containing BBQ seasoning then bake for a couple of minutes. Just long enough for the oils from the corn nuts to bind the seasoning to the nut.

Safe travels to RA Mom!

5. Linda Mooney says:

RA Guy
    You have the best blog ever, I check in at least twice a week, and there is always something that you touch my heart with. Be it your wonderful snapshots or your keen mind associated with RA you touch me.

I just wanted to chime in to say that I have been running from my RA dxd for almost four years now. I have been through all the normal steps of grief, disbelief, etc. My latest medically tried denial was to be tested for food allergies. A wonderful allergist tested me, there was no food known to mankind that I was allergic to however MSG, sulfaiets (sp), nitraits (sp), and dextrose are all things that can and will trigger an RA flare for me. So elimination is the best way to go, but these pesky additives are in everything that we eat in someway or other.

Wow I am glad to know that I am not the only one looking at other things. I go back in next month for enviornmental triggers, I still think hope floats.

Linda

Millicent, yes I am already looking forward to making travel plans for both of my parents to come back soon…it made my mother’s departure this morning just a tad bit easier, knowing that she would soon be back.

Terry, I have spent countless hours looking over the lake at the island and at the mountains…there’s nothing else like it. And at night the sky is completely dark, which allows for great star gazing.

Helen, thank you for your kind comments. You are such a dedicated commenter both here an on Facebook, I appreciate it!

Remicade Dream, I enjoy it too, as it forces me to jump back into my archives and archives of digital photos.

Jules, thanks for the suggestions. I’ll let you know how my homemade corn nuts go. I have easy access to Peruvian corn nuts (which are great and slightly less crunchy – easier on the teeth), so now I just need to work on some flavorings. I’ve had bad reactions to MSG in the past…so I’m not too surprised to find out that is seems to lead to flares, on the rare occasions that I consume it. Hopefully I can move this up to no occasions in which I consume it.

Linda, thank you for the kind comment. I dedicate a lot of effort to maintaining this blog as a community resource, and when I receive comments like yours it motivates me to do even more! We should share more detailed diet stories soon, I’d love to hear what you have discovered!