RA is opening my eyes to the complex world of high level, biological medicines. According to one source, the global market for TNF inhibitors (e.g. Enbrel, Humira, etc.) was $13.5 billion in 2008. Understandably, it takes years of research, clinical trials, and approval processes in multiple countries before a new medication hits the market. And recouping those costs is important since the pharmaceutical companies have so much invested. But these dollar amounts amaze me when I consider the exorbitant retail price (about $1,800 a month) and the fact that the FDA gives a 14 year lock on biologicals before making it generic (7 years for other drugs).
Please consider making a donation to Rheumatoid Arthritis Guy.
- Show Us Your Hands! Seeks Director Of FinanceJanuary 9, 2014 - 6:53 pm
- Show Us Your Hands! Annual Report: Building Foundations for the FutureDecember 17, 2013 - 5:24 pm
- Show Us Your Hands! Annual Report: Our Hands Can! Community StoriesDecember 16, 2013 - 1:51 pm
- Show Us Your Hands! Annual Report: Managing StressDecember 13, 2013 - 10:14 am
- Show Us Your Hands! Annual Report: Recalibration: Creating a BalanceDecember 12, 2013 - 11:07 am