A Sister’s Love

Sisters LoveRheumatoid Arthritis Guy’s sister, who arrives later this morning, is one of the persons who has provided him continuous support throughout his journey with rheumatoid arthritis. Even though we live thousands of miles apart, we are always only a phone call away…and I can’t even count the number of times she has picked up the telephone, only to hear me bawling away on the other end.

My sister got married about a month before I received my diagnosis of rheumatoid arthritis. I remember being in town for the event, confused as all heck because I had no clue what was going on with my body. The pain was high and my energy levels were low. I struggled to get out of bed before noon rolled around, and I silently kicked myself for the brain fog that seemed to be hanging over me all the time.

My sister is a psychologist…and she married a psychologist…and both of them teach psychology…so needless to say, there were many psychologists present during the festivities. Even though all of us were confused with what was going on with my body, some of her friends and colleagues knew a little more or a little less about my situation. I will never forget one individual who started talking about the challenges that chronic pain can bring into one’s life. I was dumbstruck – I had been living with pain for years, but I had never thought of labeling it as “chronic pain”.

My partner and I were part of the wedding party. As we walked down the aisle, I used my new black cane. Only two weeks later I would be using crutches, and two weeks after that I would receive my diagnosis of rheumatoid arthritis.

Since then, my sister has always provided me with a listening ear and with calming words of support, as I deal with the ups and downs of living with rheumatoid arthritis. She and her husband have helped my partner and I tremendously during this past year as we were piecing things back together, and for that we will be forever grateful.

As they are in town, along with my parents, I will be moving into “holiday mode”…I will still be blogging, but not on a daily basis. I want to make the most out of being surrounded with my loving family. I couldn’t have asked for anything better this Christmas!

1. Helen Wilmot says:

Enjoy your holidays with your family. Hope you all have a wonderful time together and that the RA stays managable.

2. Jules says:

Sisters are wonderful. My two are godsends to me. I hope you have a joyous visit. Happy holidays to you, your partner and your family.

3. Mallen says:

Wish I had a sister like that. I have only one brother who continually forgets my limitations and badgers me for not helping him out more (not that he helps me….) Every so often he asks “What are those bumps on your hands?” & “What’s the matter with you?”
    DIDN’T YOU GET THE MEMO?!
    Anyhoo! Merry Christmas!! I hope this recent hand flare goes away quickly for you, so you can enjoy the holiday with your family.

:) Mallen

4. MissDazey says:

Have a super, super Holiday with your family. This is the time for remember the good times, have fun making new memories, and know the BEST IT YET TO COME.

5. Lana says:

Sisters are wonderful. If it wasn’t for my sisters, I don’t know who I would be and with RA, I have had to lean on them more, and they are always there for me. Have a super holiday with your family!

6. leslie says:

have a great Christmas with your family! I am so happy for you that you have such a wonderful, understanding family! Enjoy! :)

7. Kali says:

*sigh* I wish I had a sister like that, too.

Mine is probably the most self-centered being I’ve ever encountered, and so my disability is met mostly with annoyance because I have different needs, with occasional shows of just how benevolent and wonderful she is by meeting some of those needs.

I actually resent her pretty deeply because she had a baby my parents have to care for because she’s not able to, and the mess she makes of her life means that my parents don’t really have much emotional wherewithal to support me. The squeakier wheel gets the oil, you know?

~Kali

We’re had a great visit so far! Today we are taking a day trip so see some pre-Incan ruins, and this weekend we are taking a multi-day trip to Lake Titicaca!