Grinding Knee

KneeYou know that abrasive scraping sound that a car’s brakes start to make when the pads are wearing thin? Well, I’ve begun to experience this feeling in my left knee. It started a little over a month ago, would come and go very irregularly, and would last for only short periods of time.

Now, this sensation is occurring much more frequently, for much longer periods of time. It does not seem to be inhibiting my ability to move my knee any more than my rheumatoid arthritis usually does, but it definitely dose have that “fingernails on a chalkboard” quality — I can stand it, but it certainly isn’t pleasant.

All of this is completely new to me, so I guess that I will have to visit my rheumatologist soon to discuss this latest development. I was assuming that I would only need to get an x-ray, but yesterday my physical therapist told me that I will probably need a CT scan.

My online research seems to indicate that there are two likely causes for this grinding sensation in the knee. One reason is that the cartilage in the knee is dry and tough, and that in most cases this can be temporarily relieved with a joint lubrication injection. Another reason would be that the cartilage has started to wear away completely, leaving one bone to grind against another. The solution in this case…well, I’m not exactly sure…but it certainly doesn’t seem to be as simple as a shot.

If anyone has experienced this grinding sensation in the knee as a result of rheumatoid arthritis, I’d really appreciate the opportunity to hear more about your experience. What diagnosis did you receive? How were you treated? I’m not trying to jump to conclusions, I’m only trying to educate myself as much as possible in preparation for my future visit with my doctor.

1. Carla says:

Ah, RA guy. Just what you need. A little percussion to go along with your other symphony of symptoms. Whatever it turns out to be, I hope that it turns out to be easily (and cost effectively) managed.

2. sherry elkins says:

Hi Guy, my mom has OA and when her knee got to the grinding stage her Rheummy sent her to the Ortho docs. She had a knee replacement, and did very well. She said there was no pain in the hardware and that she would have all her sore joints replaced if she could. Oh and her Ortho said she almost waited too long for the surgery .He had been recommending it for a couple of years. but injections helped her a lot, so she continually put it off. You probably are going to have some decisions to make. Good Luck and God bless.

3. Terry says:

I have had OA in both knees since I was around 27 (25 years ago). My knees sound like gravel rubbing together. Most days they don’t bother me. The doctors have told me there isn’t much they can do short of a knee replacement. Since it is not hurting or keeping me from doing much, I am just living with it til it gets bad enough to think about a knee replacement.

4. kristin says:

I have rheumatoid arthritis in my knees and also the grinding I am being told at 23 years old that my knees are deteriorating …not fun but I hope this helps

5. alison says:

both my knees are grinding and painful. i have ra & oa i am going to have them replaced as my knees either like to stay straight or bent now ive had to have my left knee pulled back in place after paramedics rescued me from my lounge floor i wish you all the luck in the world getting yours sorted out

6. FlyGirlX says:

I have the knee grinding in both knees. I noticed it this time last year while staying at a friends house. Going up the stairs, no problem but coming down, it sounds like bone on bone and it’s quite loud. I get it all the time now when I bend. Doesn’t hurt and I haven’t mentioned it to the doc but I will next time. I just take it easy and live happily in ignorance for the time being.