Show Us Your Hands!

Are you interested in taking part in a cool community project right before the holidays? It’s easy, it’s free, and it’ll only take you a couple of minutes to complete!

Here’s how it works:

1. Take a photo of your hand, and send it to me via Facebook or email it to me at rheumatoidarthritisguy[at]gmail[dot]com by Friday, December 23rd. That’s it…this is all you have to do! (Please note: all types of inflammatory arthritis hands are welcome!)

2. I’ll combine all of these photos*, and will share the final collage here on my blog on Christmas Eve, December 24th. This will serve not only as a symbol of the wonderfully supportive autoimmune arthritis community that continues to grow online, but it will also act as a reminder that we should be proud, and not ashamed, of our arthritis hands!

Send your photo now…the more hands we get, the better!

I’m Proud Of My Arthritis Hands

Rheumatoid arthritis hands are a visible sign of the enormous strength of an individual who has experienced so much pain, that their hands have literally been pulled out of shape. I, for one, am proud of my hands. They have endured a lot, and will continue to endure even more. I will never be ashamed of them, no matter what they look like.

Read More: www.rheumatoidarthritisguy.com/2011/08/im-proud-of-my…

* All photos will remain anonymous; no names will be included.

1. MissDazey says:

I don’t think I’ll do this, but will look at the blog when it’s finished. Don’t take this wrong, but it is helpful to realize I’m not alone. Some days I get very self-centered.

Right now I am losing left elbow.

2. Laurie says:

I sent mine…I take pictures of my flares/joints routinely to document them for the rheumatologist who only sees them a couple times a year.

3. Sharon says:

I love this idea…and I hate it at the same time! I did send in my hand picture more in memory of my Mom and for my Dad. My Mom had RA also. I never saw her with straight hands. She had nods on both hands and the joints ended up dying in 3 fingers on both hands. It always made me hide my hands and made me notice a persons hands at first meeting. One day after my Mom died my Daddy asked me why I was hiding my hands, and I told him I hated how they looked. He grabbed my hands and told me to never ever be ashamed of my hands,that they were beautiful just as my Moms was. My Daddy passed away 2 years ago and my Mom it will be 11 for my Mom…So this is for the both of them!

4. Rose says:

If you were doing feet I’d so be there. My poor left foot is so jacked. I miss cute shoes. My right wrist however is very interesting too. I will definitely ck it out when it’s done

5. MissDazey says:

This message is for Sharon, few comments up.

Sharon, Your comment brought tears. I hide my hands, I also worry that my family and friends are embarrassed by them. I should be like your dad said realize they are just hands, not me.

6. Sarah says:

Picture just sent! Caught me on a good day, my hands aren’t so swollen & the redness it gone… Can’t wait to see all the pictures!!!

7. Thrive with RA™ says:

I gotta hand it to you RA Guy, this project is inspiring! ;) Thanks for such a great idea. I look forward to seeing the finished collage.

Today I sent you my hand photo. Today I raised my hand to RA Awareness.

8. Nidia says:

I just sent my hand! Can’t wait for the collage.

I’ve had my deformity since I was about 7 and being so young meant people staring at my hands and feet. I am 21 now and still hide my hands from strangers and wear only closed-toe shoes and have never worn sandals since.

Let me just say that this movement has given me such an inspiration and motivation to not hide who I am. I have RA and it’s who I am. It’s what makes me… me. My deformity makes my hands different from everyone else’s. Thank you so much for this. Again, this is truly a very inspiring movememt.

Best wishes,

Nidia

9. Alanna McCarthy says:

I have started a picture file for my rheumatologist, but at this point it is in my knees ankles and elbows… my knuckles hurt but they have not changed.

10. Crystal says:

I missed getting my pics in in time. Too much happening Christmas week to meet the deadline. Will you be seeking more pictures again?