Real Profiles of Rheumatoid ArthritisPhotos © Rob Moore
Phoenixville, Pennsylvania, United States
How long have you lived with RA?
What advice would you give to someone who has just been diagnosed with RA?
Learn as much as you can about it and be as aggressive as possible with medications right from the start, regardless of the severity of your case. The disease only gets more resistant with time and you need to knock it out ASAP.
Do you use any mobility aids?
How has living with RA helped to improve your life?
It has forced me to slow down, live for today, and enjoy simple moments much more. I enjoy my children and my wife a lot more. I try to surround all of them with moments they will never forget, try to do things with them that become traditions, etc.
Do you have any visible signs of RA?
Bilateral knee replacement scars, finger deformities, elbow replacement scar, wrist replacement scar. Luckily I have had good surgeons so I am told I have really nice scars! I tell my kids I am a scar collector.
Can you please describe some of your favorite coping strategies for living with RA?
I always pride myself on having a short attention span. So if I am upset or sulking I know within a minute or so I will be thinking about something else and forget all about what was upsetting me.
Can you please describe your current medical (traditional and alternative) treatments?
Imuran, Remicade (going to try Rituxan), and heavy doses of prednisone. I have rheumatoid vasculitis as well as RA so the heavy prednisone is important to keep this at bay.
Is there anything else about yourself that you would like to share?
I am the proud father of 3 wonderful children as you see in my pictures. I have been out on disability from work since January of this year and God has blessed me with the opportunity to spend much more time with these guys and I am making the most of it. I have been married for 15 years to the most supportive and wonderful woman in the world – she’s my best friend and without her, I couldn’t be half as positive as I am.
Please consider making a donation to Rheumatoid Arthritis Guy.
- Canyons, Bridges, And WavesAugust 27, 2014 - 8:23 am
- I Thank My Rheumatoid Arthritis For…May 25, 2014 - 1:07 pm
- Visual Journal: My StoryDecember 18, 2013 - 12:31 am
- FreefallDecember 11, 2013 - 11:46 am
- My Decision To Not Use Medicines Right Now Is All About Personal ResponsibilityNovember 6, 2013 - 11:13 am
- Arthritis Broadcast Network: Spotlight On Arthritis SuperheroesSeptember 10, 2014 - 7:34 pm
- The New York Times: Actress, Artist, Sometimes Both At OnceMay 20, 2014 - 10:29 am
- The Columbian: Arthritis Not stopping 20-Year-Old Nursing StudentApril 15, 2014 - 3:25 pm
- Name My Cane!November 9, 2013 - 11:51 pm
- StælkenNovember 4, 2013 - 1:57 pm