Real Profiles of Rheumatoid ArthritisPhotos © Jeff Reinke
La Verne, California, United States
How long have you lived with RA?
I was diagnosed in 2008.
What advice would you give to someone who has just been diagnosed with RA?
Get your support system together as soon as possible. Get a list of questions together to ask your Doctor and don’t feel pushed out of their office. To many times early in my visits I would feel rushed then as soon as I would get to my car I remembered a question that wasn’t answered.
Do you use any mobility aids?
How has living with RA helped to improve your life?
Wow what a question, well I always get a great parking spot with my handicap Plaque. Seriously I guess I can say to slow down, I love to build projects in my garage. With my hands hurting I have to split my projects into smaller more achievable goals.
Do you have any visible signs of RA?
My fingers point in a couple different directions and swollen hands.
Can you please describe some of your favorite coping strategies for living with RA?
Laughter, Love and support of my family. And understanding that I define myself I will not let RA define me.
Can you please describe your current medical (traditional and alternative) treatments?
Plaqnil, Enbrel and I started a supplement routine in August with good results.
Is there anything else about yourself that you would like to share?
I work full time in the construction industry as a sales/tech rep. I have good and bad days but thanks to my two kids and my amazing bride of 20 years I’m a survivor. Together with knowledge and support you can get through it.
Jeff blogs at http://socalj.blogspot.com/.
Please consider making a donation to Rheumatoid Arthritis Guy.
- The New York Times: Actress, Artist, Sometimes Both At OnceMay 20, 2014 - 10:29 am
- The Columbian: Arthritis Not stopping 20-Year-Old Nursing StudentApril 15, 2014 - 3:25 pm
- Show Us Your Hands! Seeks Director Of FinanceJanuary 9, 2014 - 6:53 pm
- Show Us Your Hands! Annual Report: Building Foundations for the FutureDecember 17, 2013 - 5:24 pm
- Show Us Your Hands! Annual Report: Our Hands Can! Community StoriesDecember 16, 2013 - 1:51 pm