My Favorite Gadget

A few months ago, Rheumatoid Arthritis Guy placed an order for a wide array of assistive devices to make living with rheumatoid arthritis just a little bit easier.

My package included all types of gloves: gloves to prevent ulnar drift, arthritis compression gloves, and padded gloves for when I am walking with crutches. I ordered a cutting knife with a vertical handle (it’s awesome, by the way) as well as wide-grip padding for my utensils and other hand-held objects like pens and toothbrushes. I ordered different “toys” to help improve my hand strength, as well as different types of wrist wraps…and the list goes on.

One item has risen to the top, though, in terms of frequency of use and the amount of help it provides in relieving pressure and pain in my hands – the Multi Opener. It’s great for soda and water bottles, for pull ring tabs and cans, for bags and boxes, for bottle caps, and for jars of all sizes.

I love my Multi Opener, and it can always be found in it’s convenient location right in the middle of my kitchen!

PRODUCT INFORMATION

Multi Opener

Multi OpenerFeatures durable and comfortable grip. This tool opens six different types of seals and lids: bags, safety seals, pull tabs, bottle caps, bottle tops and jar lids. Made of polycarbonate, Santoprene and stainless steel.

More Information:

1. Jesse says:

I like it, I had a similar device from Kohls by ?? it was basicly looked kinda like a wide angled putty knife with a hack saw blade atached, It opened anything with a nice leverage.

2. Lana says:

Got to get me one of those.

RA Guy – do not forget to blog about invisible illness. Come by and blog and check out the information.

3. Courtney W says:

Hello, is there a certain catalog you use where you find all of these things? I need to start doing things to protect my hands.

Thanks!

4. Lola says:

I love hearing what other RAers out there are using and finding helpful. I love my electric jar opener but it is so bulky. Also loved my “One Touch” can opener until it broke. Thanks for sharing. I will be looking into buying myself one.

Maybe you can do a blog on sharing creative ideas for finding ways to still do things without asking for help.
    I use a pair of tongs to pull the chain on the ceiling fan(my arms no longer straighten) and a ladel to pull things towards me when they are too far back on a high shelf. You get creative when your body can’t just do what it once could. I’d love to hear everyones ideas. Your blog your decision…just a thought. ;)

5. Lisa says:

My absolute faves are Oxo Good Grip’s can opener. It even avoids jagged edges for folks who want to avoid getting cut.

And the awesome post-surgical giveaway – I call it the “sock putter-onner” also known as a sock aid.

6. Terry says:

Hey, that’s cool. Most day’s I don’t need something like this but I’m a sucker for cool gadgets. Going to order one next week.

Thanks for the post.
    Terry

7. Lola says:

Thanks for putting up the link. I wasn’t on FB much before June so I missed that post.

Would be cool to hear other peoples ideas just so we can help each other out. All the little things that can turn into what you described with the chips most people never think twice about such simple things that are harder for those of us with RA.

8. Pam says:

Thanks everyone! Please continue informing of things that help. I already ordered the multi opener for my Mom. Then I can help her without her asking for help!