Winter Must-Haves

Rheumatoid Arthritis Guy's Joints Gone Wild

Rheumatoid Arthritis Guy is glad to be heading into warmer weather. Winter this past year not only started a month earlier, but it also ended a month later. On top of these two extra months of winter, temperatures were much lower than usual – and, it snowed much more than usual. While most of my readers continue to move towards colder temperatures, down here in the Southern Hemisphere things are the exact opposite. The days are getting both longer and warmer. I am loving it.

I’ll do my best to send some of this sun and warm weather up north, but I can’t make any promises. I know how hard cold weather can be when living with rheumatoid arthritis. For some of my hints on coping with winter, please see My Own Personal Kryptonite.

“When Superman was exposed to one particular thing, he immediately lost all of his powers and became weak.  The thing that had such an immediate and pronounced effect on Superman was green kryptonite.  Rheumatoid Arthritis Guy has his own personal kryptonite – but it’s called winter.”

Today I thought it would be good if we could share some of our must-have items for winter. I’ll go ahead and start.

I have never been much of a slipper guy…that is, up until I had rheumatoid arthritis. Before, I believed in the power of bare feet,  and sometimes just walking around with socks if it was a little chilly. (Hey, I grew up in South Texas, where our slippers were beach sandals!)

But since I have been living with rheumatoid arthritis, this has all changed. As soon as I get out of bed, there is no way I am going to make things worse by putting my feet on a cold floor. So I’ve gone through slipper after slipper during the past few years. This past year, I decided to spend a little more on a slipper that was not only more comfortable, but which would last longer as well. I haven’t regretted a cent that I spent on my slippers, shown below.

PRODUCT INFORMATION

Mens Slippers Qwaruba

Qwaruba Men’s Cabin Fever Cocoa Sheepskin Slippers

• 100% Australian Merino Sheepskin upper & insole
  • Opera stylng with twin elastic side-gores
  • Seamless footbed
  • Double lock-stitched suede “mudguard”
  • Lasted upper
  • “Memory” foam midsole
  • Lightweight indoor/outdoor TPR (Rubber) “Diamond” outsole
  • Qwaruba donates all profits to charity

More Info: http://shoes.footwearetc.com/asearch#ts=ajax&w=qwaruba&af=&asug=

Stay tuned…for the next adventure of Rheumatoid Arthritis Guy

1. cateepoo says:

I also have to wear slippers and even put them into my bag when visiting friends because socks alone won’t do the trick.

My hands feel a lot of pain with the cold so a few years ago I made these hand warmers http://planetgreen.discovery.com/fashion-beauty/rice-pouch-mitten-warmers.html which I loved. However, we no longer have a microwave so now I pick up these disposable hand warmers at Walgreens if we are going to be out for any length of time.

2. Marcia says:

I cannot do without my mittens in which I place in each one of those Hot Hands warmers. My joints stay warm no matter how bitter the temperature.

3. judy says:

As the weather gets colder, I have learned to layer for my own comfort. We heat our home with a pellet burner- so that is such a nice warm heat- like a fireplace. Anyhow the things that I cannot do without are my long underwear. I can still look like everyone else, but my knees and eblows( not a typo-thats what I call them) are still warm. Normally I put them on before I am completely out of bed- kindof as part of my morning stretch/check.
    your slippers look awesome..as are you.
    so very thankful to “see” you every morning friend.
    judy

4. Helen says:

Last winter was one of the coldest I’ve ever experienced here in Canada. After that, one of my rules is to always have enough food in the pantry and freezer to get through a few days when I can’t get through the snow to go shopping!

Slippers are a must-have for me too, as well as a nice hot-water bottle for my feet when I go to bed. Brrrr!

5. Terry says:

My feet hurt every day so one of my must haves is Sharper Image Temperature Regulating Memory Foam Slippers. They are great!
    Also, couldn’t make it without one of my Big Dogs sweatshirts.

6. Wren says:

“Never before seen footage of arthritic joints on the beach!”

You crack me up, RA Guy. I have a very visual imagination, so the first image I see is a guy doing deep knee bends. THEN I see doobies limping along in the sand, leaning on wee canes. Little beach hats on their heads… heheheheheh.

Winter must-haves? Hot chai in a ceramic cup for holding between cold, achy hands and oh, oh, oh steamy hot baths with eucalyptus …