RA Guy Is 1 Year Old

A year ago today, I launched Rheumatoid Arthritis Guy with the following post:

Rheumatoid Arthritis Guy Saves The World!
April 24, 2009

Okay, so maybe I didn’t save the world – yet. But I did launch this blog, and on a Friday afternoon no less. Now I can kick back and relax over the weekend. I’ll go back to saving the world on Monday.

The idea to start my own blog has been simmering around in my head for a while, but upon hearing for the third time in a month “Why don’t you start your own blog?” I finally decided to give it a go.  I put aside my self-paced iPhone application development training (and corresponding new MacBook Air – what a lovely thing) and jumped into the world of Adobe Illustrator (illustrations on the right) and WordPress (blog publishing software, for those who are not familiar).

I hope to have fun sharing adventures of my journey through chronic pain and debilitating inflammation.  My rheumatoid arthritis has undergone a major progression during the past few months, and I need to turn my daily routine of putting on and taking off my wrist guards and ankle protectors into something fun.  Hence, Rheumatoid Arthritis Guy and his tungsten wrist guards and titanium ankle protectors.

And yes, I really do still have a full head of hair.  Although two weeks ago I started taking Arava for my rheumatoid arthritis, and one of the most common side effects of this drug seems to be hair loss.  Here’s hoping that I don’t become follically challenged.  (Although I guess being able to comfortably lift a brush is more important than having a full head of hair – darn those wrists!)

So welcome to my world and welcome to my blog.  Don’t be shy – I would love to hear from you.

What a year it has been! I no longer feel like I am the only person in the world living with rheumatoid arthritis. (Yes, I actually used to feel like that – for years.) I have learned that accepting chronic pain does not mean that I have to give up the things I love doing. I have stopped pushing myself to far, and have realized that by doing less I can actually do more.

I have gone from spending a most of my day in bed (depressed), to spending a majority of my time teaching, learning, socializing, reading, and moving around. (I started teaching my second class at the university where I recently started working, and a third class is coming up soon.)

My RA is still there and I am reminded of it each and every day…it no longer instills the sense of fear that it once did. I am managing it, and not letting it manage me.

To those readers who have followed my adventures since the beginning, thanks for all of the encouragement and support that you have provided along the way. For those readers who only recently stumbled across this blog, I’m glad you found us!

Oh, and if you’re wondering about my hair – I did lose quite a bit of it after being on Arava for a few months, but once we lowered the dosage everything grew back in.

1. Lisa says:

Feliz Cumpleanos, RA Guy! Thanks for sharing your journey, including the struggles and successes that you have encountered along the way of learning to live with RA. I’ve learned a lot from you about RA.

2. Lana says:

Happy one year anniversary to your blog! The world does become smaller when we realize we are not the only one. Thanks for sharing your RA journey with the blogosphere.

3. Ldy says:

you relax RA guy you soo deserve it!!, you have done so much over the year, you deserve to hang your cape up for a couple of days xx, not too long mind as whatever will we do for protection xx

4. Wren says:

I’m so glad you made the leap into the blogosphere, Guy. Your’s was one the the first RA blogs I discovered when I googled “RA blogs” one day out of curiosity. Your blog, and the others I found through yours, has made a huge difference in how I feel about my RA and how I handle it on a day-to-day basis. Your posts have been, even when you were feeling your worst, uplifting, full of gentle humor, and inspiring, and you’ve always made me feel welcome and like a friend. You should be proud. You’ve done great good with this blog.

I’m looking forward to the next year of RA Guy posts. And rest assured that you’ve made a friend. Now go leap a few tall buildings, will you?

5. Pam says:

Thanks for sharing your adventures. They’ve have told us it’s okay to be scared and okay to have fun.

6. cateepoo says:

Only one year old??? You seem much more mature. Honestly, I can’t believe you have been touching our lives for only one year. Congratulations. Your inspiring stories and acceptance of others is so powerful and the reason I keep returning to your blog.

7. Tortoiselvr says:

I can’t believe it has only been one year – I was sure this was “from the archives” – you are THAT much of a constant in my world :)

Three cheers for you, your accomplishments this past year, and best wishes for the upcoming months!
    Thanks for all you do for all of us
    Tort

8. Hazel says:

Happy Anniversary! I’ve been with you since day one. Thank you for sharing your adventures. You’ve been a great help in many different ways.

9. RA Guy's Mom says:

Yes, definitely–somehow it seems longer than one year…must just be an illusion since it’s been an avenue in which you have inspired and touched many others living with RA!–plus the rewards you’ve personally received from others struggling with the same, including family members of individuals with RA. Well done, son!–as always, I’m very proud of you!! Go for another year….Love you, Mom

10. Dottie says:

!Feliz Aniversario!…and thank you so much for sharing and teaching about RA to so many of us. GRACIAS!!!! Hope you stay with this VERY INTERESTING blog for many more years!!!!ABRAZOS!!!

11. Terry says:

Happy Anniversary. I’m glad you chose to start the blog, I visit it often. It really does help to read about how others are doing and knowing that we are not alone dealing with this disease.

12. jodi says:

Happy Anniversary and happy belated birthday!

Thank you so much for starting this blog and giving so many of us a place to gather and connect. You’re the best!